Třeboň: 40 km from Červená Lhota
The town’s history dates back to the 1150’s where there was founded a small settlement on one of the tracks crossing the border deep forests. The vast area was later given to Vítek of Prčice. He received the domain as a reward from the king for his service. In the 1250’s, the domain was sold to the brothers Pelhřim and Ojíř Vítkovec of Landštejn. Around 1300, Třeboň probably introduced the first fortification system enhanced with an outside moat. The town became the center of the ever-growing domain. Since 1341, Třeboň has been recognized as a town with corresponding rights. In 1366, the original German names Witigenowe and Wittingau gave way to the Czech version Třeboň. Moreover, the same year saw new proprietors of the domain, brothers of Rožmberk. Under their control, the town only flourished and grew in importance. Only a year later, the Rožmberks founded a new monastery in the town and in 1376 they vested king’s rights in the town. In 1378, the king Charles IV. vested the right to import salt in the town. Late 14th century saw the town equipped with stone-and-mortar ramparts and a moat. Such level of fortification and the fact there were countless moors and swamps around made the town practically unconquerable. This was the case when the Hussites tried to seize the town a few times and failed to succeed.
Třeboň was at its peak in the 16th and the early 17th centuries, especially under the reign of the last two Rožmberks, brothers Vilém and Peter Vok of Rožmberk. The new era of prosperity and development came with Jakub Krčín of Jelčany who became the head of all businesses and trades in Třeboň. His reforms were tremendously positive and had a great impact not only on the town alone but also its surrounding area. Thriving times ended with attacks carried out by the Passau army, the death of the last of Rožmberks and series of devastating fires.
Another ordeal Třeboň had to go through was the 30-year war. In 1660, the Lords of Schwarzenbergs became new owners of the Třeboň domain and did not lose their rights until the early 20th century. Třeboň had difficulties in overcoming the war injuries and it started to become underdeveloped. Typical smalltown tranquillity changed a little when the town became a disctrict seat. More profound changes came when the Schwarzenbergs had to transmit their farming property on the state after the WW1 and the first land reform. The WW2 took its toll on the town too. After it, light industry and large-scale agricultural production made their ways into the town. In 1960, Třeboň was deprived of the district seat title but became official spa resort.
Being here you should also see:
Chateau in Třeboň
Information office telephone number: +420 384 721 169